In a move that's either a diplomatic breakthrough or the plot of a very strange buddy comedy, US President Donald Trump's Middle East envoy Jared Kushner has held rare talks with Hamas to discuss the implementation of the US-backed Gaza peace plan. Because what's a family reunion without a little geopolitical negotiation?

A Palestinian official told the BBC that Trump's son-in-law met a delegation led by Hamas's new leader Khalil al-Hayya in Egypt on Sunday. Yes, the same Khalil al-Hayya who just got promoted to the top job. Talk about a busy week.

Last month, Trump's Board of Peace - which sounds like a boy band but is actually an international organisation that started with Gaza and then, because why not, expanded to cover conflicts worldwide - said it had reached agreement for the "complete disarmament" of Hamas and other armed groups in Gaza. Then last week, Israel rejected Trump's 15-point plan, which also calls for Israeli troops to withdraw and for Gaza to be rebuilt under a new civilian Palestinian administration. Because nothing says 'peace plan' like everyone involved immediately saying 'no thanks.'

Eight Muslim countries - Egypt, UAE, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Turkey, Pakistan, and Indonesia - issued a statement on Sunday condemning Israel's rejection. So that's a solid 8-1 vote against Netanyahu's vibe. Kushner's meeting with Hayya is said to be the first at this level since last year's ceasefire agreement for the Gaza Strip. Progress? Or just a really long coffee break?

According to reports, Board of Peace envoys Nickolay Mladenov and UK ex-Prime Minister Tony Blair were also part of the meeting, alongside representatives of Egypt, Qatar, and Turkey, who've been playing mediator like it's a full-time job. No official statement has been released on the talks, which reportedly focused on concrete actions to decommission Hamas's weapons, as well as Israeli troop withdrawal and humanitarian efforts. So, you know, just your typical Sunday brunch chat.

While in Egypt, Kushner also met Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi. And according to Israeli media, Kushner, Mladenov, and Blair will meet Netanyahu on Monday with the aim of advancing Trump's plan. Good luck with that, fellas.

The Israeli prime minister has said he wants a full Hamas disarmament first in order to implement the deal. "Israel rejects the Board of Peace's 15-point document on Gaza. The IDF will not carry out any withdrawal until Hamas is genuinely disarmed," Netanyahu said last week, defying Israel's closest ally. Because who needs allies when you have principles, right?

The ceasefire, which came into effect on 10 October last year, remains in place - though the Israel Defense Forces have carried out several strikes in Gaza since then, the latest on "terrorists" in Khan Yunis and Nuseirat areas, accusing Hamas of breaking the truce. Because 'ceasefire' is just a suggestion, apparently.

The war was triggered by the Hamas-led attack on southern Israel on 7 October 2023, in which about 1,200 people were killed and 251 others were taken hostage. Israel responded with a military campaign in Gaza, during which more than 73,000 people have been killed, according to the territory's health ministry, whose figures the UN considers reliable. The UN also estimates that about 1.9 million people - 90% of Gaza's population - have been displaced since the war started. That's a lot of people needing a permanent address.

So, as the peace train chugs along (or derails spectacularly), one thing's for sure: Netanyahu's rejection of Trump's 15-point plan is unlikely to be the final word. Stay tuned for more diplomatic drama, because this show isn't ending anytime soon.